Our Approach to Understanding Islam:
The principle objective of our organization is to present and promote understanding of Islam; through peaceful and non-political means alone, using research, discussion and dialogue. Our secondary aim is to try and remove sectarian disharmony from among Muslims sects. Through our activities we are also keen to develop religious and racial harmony among the citizens of the United Kingdom.
Our approach refers to any scholarly understanding of Islam that is principally and fundamentally based on or in general agreement with the thinking and approach documented by Imam Hamid al-Din Farahi as revised, developed and propagated by Amin Ahsan Islahi and Javed Ahmad Ghamidi.
The above thinking and approach comprises of the following principles:
- It defines the role of Quran as the ultimate Criterion in all vital decision making on religious issues.
- Has tried to further elaborate on the concept of coherence in Quran and why it is vital in true understanding of the Book.
- Defines Sunnah and differentiates Sunnah from Hadith.
- Considers Hadith to be an important source of information about Islam and the prophet (pbuh) but one that is not an independent source of understanding Islam and needs to be verified and understood in the light of the Qur'an and the Sunnah.
- Encourages deliberation on the meaning of the Qur’an rather than merely reciting it in Arabic.
- The followers of this approach are always keen to revise their understanding if they find it to be not correct or complete. Therefore they not only do not frown upon criticism and questioning of their belief and approach but welcome such criticism and questioning with outmost appreciation.